As our parents age, many of us begin to notice that they may not be as adept at maintaining their homes and performing the tasks of daily living as they once were. This can be the result of many things—limited mobility, illness, memory loss or even just lack of stimulation and engagement. When this happens, many adult children are uncertain of what to do and how to help, especially because most of us simply can’t be there every day to provide the necessary assistance at every moment it’s needed.
In these types of situations, it’s important to evaluate the situation objectively, ask some important questions and work with parents to ensure their greatest possible quality of life. To achieve this, a move to a retirement community, like Simpson Meadows, which offers Personal Care and Memory Support, is often the best solution.
Here are some considerations that can help determine whether it is time for a change:
- A decline in performing the tasks of home maintenance, housekeeping and laundry
- The need for help with bathing and personal hygiene
- Mail and bills that are piling up and not being managed accurately
- Necessity for assistance with medication and medical scheduling
- Repeating questions or stories, and inability to follow conversations
- Items being frequently misplaced or put in unusual places
- A decline in the quality or consistency of meals
- Safety concerns with regard to driving, cooking, mobility, stairs, etc.
- Loss of interest in daily activity and social engagement
- Signs of depression, fear, withdrawal or isolation
- Instances of wandering or disorientation
If you identify with one or more of these issues, it may be time to get some help with evaluating how to make a positive lifestyle change for your loved one. The professionals at Simpson Meadows are always available to meet with you and discuss the benefits of making a move to our Personal Care or Memory Support neighborhoods. Both provide a safe, secure environment with a licensed nursing staff available 24 hours a day. Those who live in these neighborhoods benefit from services that are designed to help them remain as independent as possible. They also have access to amenities, social activities and nutritious meals—all in a warm, caring and homelike setting.
If you would like to set up a personal appointment to learn more about the services offered at Simpson Meadows, please call 484-364-3125 to schedule a visit.